Thank you for registering to receive future NHBC New Homes newsletters.
Christmas is a special time of the year, especially if it’s your first in a new home. But it is important to ensure it does not end in tragedy due to the extra hazards that are present during the festive period.
To help make sure you have a safe and happy Christmas, we have compiled some tips around the selection, care, decorating and disposal of your tree.
The basic rule when selecting a Christmas tree is that the fresher the tree, the less likely it is to be a potential fire hazard.
Needles on fresh trees should be green, hard to pull back from the branches, and should not break if the tree has been freshly cut. Also, a fresh tree will have a trunk with sap that will be sticky to the touch.
Old trees can be identified by bouncing the tree trunk on the ground. If a lot of needles fall off, the tree has been cut too long, probably dried out, and is more likely to be a potential fire hazard.
Keep the tree at least three feet away from heat sources such as fireplaces, candles and even the television. Ignoring this could result in the heat drying out the tree, causing it to be more easily ignited by heat, flame or sparks.
The stand you put your tree in should contain a continuous source of water and be sturdy enough to resist toppling by children or pets.
Use low energy, safe lighting that has been certified by a safety testing lab and make sure you don’t use damaged or frayed cords.
If bulbs blow, replace them promptly and always remember to switch off your fairy lights on when you leave the house or go to sleep.
Don’t allow the bulbs to touch anything that can burn easily, like paper and be careful not to overload sockets.
Remember that decorations made of light tissue paper or cardboard burn easily. Make sure you never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
Never attach decorations to lighters or heaters and don’t place them immediately above or around the fireplace and keep them away from candles.
Dispose of your tree soon after Christmas. Dried-out trees are a fire danger and should not be left in the home or garage, or placed outside against the home.
We will get back to you as soon as possible.